Tuesday, July 3, 2018

6.30.18 Versailles


Saturday was Versailles day! We pre-booked a bus transfer. We took an Uber to an office near Eiffel Tower. It was an easy transfer after the bus driver figured out where to go.

We stood in line for an hour to get in to the Palace. The Palace was very crowded so we slowly worked our way through. 


Then we headed out to the Gardens. Turns out I bought tickets for the wrong day. The ticket taker laughed at me a little. My sister and mom gave me a look.  I asked where to buy tickets. She took pity on me and called over the supervisor who let us in. So sweet. 


We headed immediately to the golf cart rental. No way are we walking in 80 degree heat all over this huge estate. My sister drove and did a great job. It was cool because they had a set route you had to take. It was one way and didn’t interfere with the walking paths. 

We headed to the back of the property to the Trianon – two palaces added after Louis XIV. 

Then we ate lunch at the café near the Grand Canal. They had good gluten free options.




We returned the golf cart and got in place for the fountains to turn on. It was neat to see the fountains on. It was so hot so we went to the café and got cold drinks. At check out, the server asked if my sister and I were twins. We stood next to each other and he says, “NO!” Then he asked if we were Americans. We said yes and asked how he knew. He answered – I can tell. It was so funny. 


We took the bus back and then tried to find a place for dinner. I found a place near the Champs Elysees. We took an Uber there. It was closed. Grrrr. So we decided to head to the Disney Store on the Champs Elysees. When we came out of the store – horns were blaring! France had won their World Cup match. People were driving up and down the street with flags, hanging out windows, revving motorcycles and honking horns. It was great. We found a cute café that had gluten free options and had a nice dinner. 

Then we walked back toward the hotel. We decided to have dessert a restaurant we had passed earlier in the week – Indiana. It was basically the Applebee’s of Paris. I had a Kir Royale. We enjoyed sitting in the window. A great end to our trip.




Our flight went well back to Indianapolis. Our transfer to the airport was a little stressful because a triathlon closed down most of the city. We made it.  Sara’s family came to greet us at the airport. My niece was pretty excited to take over my suitcase. I was pretty excited to let her. 


Overall a great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment